Thursday, September 4, 2008

8,000 MILES In 3 Days

The trip from Iraq to the front porch takes awhile. It’s a little more than 8,000 miles from my trailer to my house. To get from one to another is somewhat of a pain but the reward at the end of the road is worth it. Here’s how it goes.

Day 1: Moving around
I waited around for most of the day for my plane. The Air Force works on a different kind of schedule than the army. The Army has SPs (starting points) LDs (Lines of Departure) and we plan for exact times that we cross each. Apparently, when the Air Force flies for the Army they use WWDWFLITs (When We Damn Well Feel Like Its). Anyway, they damn well felt like it about mid afternoon. I shuffled across the 140 degree tarmac, loaded the C-130 (ugly Air Force cargo plane) and strapped in for the 45 minute trip to Kuwait……nice ride.



When we get to Kuwait we ‘in-process’ with many briefings, turn in gear, assign first class accommodations (sarcasm), eat chow and continue to wait for that next ‘time hack’…the next time you have to be somewhere or do something. That’s all we really care about. My first time hack isn’t until 7am so I’ve got time to call home and go to the McDonald’s at the base. Yes…McDonald’s for the first time in months.


The operation in Kuwait is actually pretty impressive. Servicemembers from Afghanistan and all parts Iraq come though their ‘Gateway’ and get their orders approved, book a civilian flight for the next day, eat, sleep, kill time, store equipment and unwind. All of it is done with the intent of reversing the process and getting a soldier back to his unit with all of his stuff in about 2 or 3 weeks. They do this every night or so for about 200-300 Soldiers/Airmen/Sailors/Marines and a few civillians. They are Pogues* but very proficient Pogues.
*a Pogue is a rear echelon person. Also known as a REMF. They don’t fight the war but they run the war…or at least part of it. Often looked down upon by the actual trigger-pulling soldier.

Day 2: Airborne
After we kill some time in the USO and MWR facilities our flight arrives the next evening. It’s a civilian 767. Nice ride. During the 18 hour journey I see 4 movies (all date movies) eat 3 airline meals, drink several non-alcoholic beverages (no drinking aloud) sleep off and on for about 6 hours, read, stare out the window, stop for refueling in Germany and try to do the math on what time it is where I’m at. We cross 8 time zones. It’s a long trip.

Day 3: Texas Patriots Ambush Soldiers
Then we arrive in Dallas. Dallas is great. They have a cheering line that greets servicemembers when we get off the plane. They’ve been doing it for 5 years now and it’s amazing. Picture 200 tired jet-lagged Soldiers dragging their gear off the ramp, walking to their next flight then when they least expect it dozens of fine Americans ambush them with clapping and cheering and patting on the back. It’s amazing. Just like a football team taking the field….but waaaaaay better.


After a few hours in the DFW Airport I finally get on my connecting flight and fly to Shreveport. That’s a great 45minute ride. Can you imagine sitting in one place and just smiling for an hour? That’s what that leg of the trip is like.
8,000 miles, 3 days, 4 date movies, 1prize: I see my family for the first time in months.

I’m a lucky guy. I made it.


SABER 02
out.



2 comments:

Lisa in DC said...

Welcome home! And glad to hear that that DFW welcome is as terrific as it sounds. :-)

Take care.

From a grateful citizen,
Lisa

Fratch said...

I ran acrosss your blog while doing a search for Camp Adder and I am so glad I did!

My boyfriend is an SFC with 1st Cavalry there with you at Camp Adder and I love reading about your views on life at Camp Adder - gives me more insight about what things might be like for him too.

I am glad you had a fantastic R&R with your family. Thank you for all that you do and I pray that you get to return home again soon!